Monday, November 12, 2007

"RoadSmasher" Body Removal

The smashed up Roadmaster has now been stripped down to the bare frame. We removed the bubbly body from the chassis last night... oh what fun! I managed to pick up the body without removing the driveshaft crossmember, and almost made a costly mistake! That would have broken off the yoke or possibly the rear of the transmission, but luckily I caught it before any damage happened. After removing the crossmember, my trusty 1962 Clark Forklift didn't break a sweat lifting the bulky body off of the chassis that it was set on 13 years ago.

I think that we have really come a long way since the start of this project, and i think that now is the point of no return... My wife and I are going to being the cleaning up the frame and drivetrain, and get some of that ugly rust off of our chassis. I wish we could just bring the whole setup to a media blaster and have at it! We have done some work to the Impala, blasting parts and repainting them such as the battery tray, inner fenders, and other items that fit in our small blasting cabinet.

I have been selling alot of parts on E-Bay, so if you happen to need something, let me know! We hope to sell parts from the car in order to fund our project. So far we have made $360 from parts, and we have many left to sell. The car was $1600, so only $1240 left to go!

Below are the pictures of both cars, and the body coming off. We also included some "Flintstone style" pictures of us goofing around!







1 comment:

cniebur13 said...

Looking good Jason!

I can't wait until the day when I see the Impala roll up in front of my house with a 30 pack of High Life in the back seat.